Responsible for assistance with self-administered medications and/or administration of medications to Assisted Living residents, following the guidelines provided by Aventine Hill Communities and the state regulations in which they practice.
· Responsible for assistance with self-administered medications and/or administration of medications to Memory Care residents in compliance with federal and state regulations and Aventine Hill Communities guidelines as directed by the licensed nurse (Resident Service Director or MC Resident Care Coordinator).
· Reports any change in resident’s health and provides proper documentation to the licensed nurse.
· Manages scheduled medication pass efficiently, accurately and within required timeframes.
· Documents on medication record timely, accurately.
· Documents in the resident’s clinical record timely and accurately.
· Communicates with resident’s physicians and third-party providers as needed, timely and accurately.
· Handles and manages medications safely and accurately.
· Follows proper procedures for handling and management of all narcotics.
· Responds quickly to all emergencies.
· Maintains close communication with all departments and staff members.
· Understands role in the Safety & Disaster Plan.
· Maintains confidentiality of residents’ and prospective residents’ information.
· Takes and records vital signs as assigned and qualified.
· Measures and records height and weight as assigned.
· Recognizes abnormal changes in body functioning and the importance of reporting such changes to a supervisor.
· Orders refills of medications accurately and timely.
· Documents receipt of medications accurately upon receiving them.
· Provides assistance as needed with medication reminders, bathing, grooming, dressing, escort service, and other activities of daily living as assigned.
· Contributes to the resident’s assessment and the plan of care.
· Cares for residents with dementia.
· Follows the schedule of resident’s needs set out by supervisor.
· Provides emotional and social support to residents.
· Promotes and protects resident rights, assists residents to make informed decisions, treats residents with dignity and respect, protects resident’s personal belongings, reports suspected abuse or neglect, avoids the need for physical restraints in accordance with the current professional standards and, supports independent expression, choice and decision-making consistent with applicable law and regulation.
· Informs supervisor of any resident issues or concerns.
· Respects and encourages the independence and dignity of the residents.
· Respects residents’ confidentiality.
· Familiar with emergency equipment and procedures.
· Understands duties during a fire drill and is familiar with evacuation plan.
· Conducts scheduled and unscheduled programming with memory care residents.
· Handles dining service in the dining room for all three meals daily and for night-time dining where available.
· Communicates with resident families per the memory care program directives and policies.
· Attends all required training, in-service, and staff meetings.
· Strives to maintain a safe working environment through the prevention of accidents, the preservation of equipment, and the achievement of safe working practices.
· Maintains a positive and professional demeanor toward residents, visitors, and co-workers.
· Adheres to all policies and procedures of Aventine Hill Communities.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· A High School Diploma or General Education Degree; or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
· CNA licensure or other medical assistant preferable.
· Memory Care training certification or other formal dementia education.
· Currently certified and willing to maintain CPR Certification and First Aid.
· Excellent customer service and communication skills.
· Positive and cheerful disposition.
· Comfortable resolving conflict.
· Knowledge of progression and care of dementia residents.
· Successful completion and testing of required medication technician education.
· Current and ongoing compliance with required continuing education requirements for medication technicians.
· Recent history of care experience in memory care setting.
· Ability to understand and utilize computers, software and other technology.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & REQUIREMENTS
This position requires time spent on the following physical activities:
None Under 1/3 1/3 to 2/3 Over 2/3
Use hands to finger, handle, or feel x
Reach with hands and arms x
Climb or balance x
Stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl x
Talk or hear x
Taste or smell x
This position requires time spent lifting weight or exerting force in the following manner:
None Under 1/3 1/3 to 2/3 Over 2/3
Up to 10 pounds x
Up to 25 pounds X
Up to 50 pounds X
Up to 100 pounds X
More than 100 pounds X
POTENTIAL EXPOSURE TO BLOODBORNE PATHOGENS
· This position may involve exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissue, requiring the use of personal protective equipment. Gloves should be worn for any contact with blood or body fluids/tissues. Gowns, masks, or eye covering may be needed if it is likely that soiling or splattering of blood may occur.
· To reduce the risk of exposure to blood, body fluid, or tissue adherence to Standard Universal Precautions is necessary. In the event of accidental exposure to potentially infectious blood or body fluids/tissues, appropriate medical evaluation and follow-up is available as outlined in the community exposure control plan located in every department.
· It is the policy of this community to adopt work practices that will minimize health risks resulting from occupational exposure to blood and other potentially infected materials.