We are looking for a Fibre Planner, Fibre Construction to work remotely from home. The Fibre Planner, Fibre Construction, will be responsible for the planning and initial design of new fibre optic networks. The position entails creating comprehensive preliminary packages allowing for the detailed costing, project scheduling, and ultimately final engineering, construction and acceptance testing of these networks. Fibre design and construction is a new competency for Xplornet, thus this role will be key in defining network architectural standards, selecting OSP technologies, defining construction standards and recommending construction techniques. The Fibre Construction team will employ a model whereby internal, or third party, fibre optic network designs are contracted out to external construction teams to build and test. Success will require close collaboration with the Core and Aggregation Network Engineering teams to ensure comprehensive network specifications are developed and that new fibre networks are delivered on-time and on-budget. Close collaboration will also be required with the IP Operations and Field Operations teams to ensure a smooth go-live transition of new infrastructure.
Key responsibilities include:
• Work with the Core and Aggregation Network Engineering teams to establish Outside Plant (OSP) architectural standards and select implementation technologies for Xplornet’s next generation of hybrid fibre wireless networks
• Contribute as part of a cross functional engineering team to the planning, design and rollout of new hybrid fibre wireless networks
• Generate detailed preliminary packages for new network rollouts including the technical specification of fibre optic cable and associated support structure
• Determine project material standards, types and method of deployment
• Develop detailed construction standards
• Develop project scope and preliminary costing (if required)
• Develop engineering guidelines and project assumptions
• Develop fibre optic test and acceptance tests / criteria
• Assist in the development of standards for fibre optics network CAD and GIS documentation (alignments, support structures, splicing) and associated tools and management processes.
• Identify project dependencies such as access to third party infrastructure, special crossing or proximity agreements and interfacing with other telecommunications systems
• Provide OSP content for inclusion into formal tender documentation
• Review the completed Joint Use Applications, permit applications, and OSP Issued for Construction (IFC) plans to ensure adherence to project objectives and guidelines.
• Ensure that drawing standards have been met
• Monitor aerial and underground telecom deployments as directed by the IFC plans
• Conduct Quality Assurance inspections as required
• Ensure that all material placed has been done according to code and best industry practices
• Formulate deficiency punch list (including CAD As-Builts) for contractor remediation and follow to resolution
• Consult with industry peers and stay abreast of new industry technologies and industry standards
• Guide and mentor the Fibre Construction team and actively share knowledge and experience across the broader Networks team
• Other duties as required
The ideal candidate will possess:
•Engineering Degree (electrical or civil), Technologist Diploma (electrical or civil), Journeyman Certificate for Communications Electrician, or equivalent experience
•Minimum 5+ years of fibre optics design and construction experience with proven capability in the design FTTx deployments
•In-depth knowledge of fibre optic network construction techniques, construction equipment and fibre optic network technologies for use in both outside plant and inside plant applications
•Knowledgeable in FTTx network topologies and the associated advantages and disadvantages – particularly cost drivers
•Demonstrated ability to develop construction estimates for new fibre construction projects
•Proven ability to collaborate with 3rd party engineering firms
•Experienced in the development of fibre construction, test / acceptance and maintenance standards
•Proven ability to collaborate and work across functions / teams ensuring successful project deliveries
•Attention to detail ensuring accurate construction documentation and written standards are created for use by network peers
•Demonstrated professional written and verbal communication
•Bilingualism – English/French considered an asset
•Excellent computer skills, particularly in the use of Google Earth software, CAD software and Microsoft products including Outlook, Word, Excel and Project
•Willingness to travel
As a condition of employment and in order to comply with industry related data security standards, this position is subject to the successful completion of a Criminal Background Check. Details will be supplied to applicants as they move through the selection process.
Xplornet is committed to creating an accessible environment and will accommodate disabilities during the selection process. Please let your recruiter know during the selection process of any accommodation needs.
Headquartered in Woodstock, New Brunswick, Xplornet Communications Inc. is one of Canada’s leading broadband service providers. For over a decade, Xplornet has been providing innovative broadband solutions to rural customers at work, home and play across Canada. Today, Xplornet offers voice and data communication services through its unique wireless and satellite network that connects Canadians to what matters.